Postcards from San Francisco : The Chutes

Postcards: The Chutes

The Chutes

A recreational park originally opened in 1895 on Haight Street between Cole and Clayton, it was moved in 1902 to Fulton at Tenth Avenue in a stretch adjacent to Golden Gate Park, known as "Beer Town". The ride was the fore-runner of the contemporary "log rides", except that the original boats were not attached to a track - they slid uncontrolled down the flume to a pool below. The Chutes location on Fulton closed at the end of 1908 and opened again in 1909 in the Fillmore. They were moved a final time to Playland at the Beach, where they were used from the 1920s until they were finally torn down permanently in 1950.